Whether you work in an office, from home, or from a coworking space, we ALL crave that perfect workspace – one that feels comfy, energizing, organized, and motivating.
So today we are going to share 6 chat ways you can enhance your workspace and set your desk up for success.
6 Ways to Set Your Desk Up for Success
Electronics are an absolute must-have, right? Without a laptop or phone, we’re all pretty much useless when it comes to work. So, when you’re setting your desk up for success, it’s important to prioritize your electronics and make sure they’re working at full capacity.
- Chargers and Outlets: Have you ever been super focused on a task and then all of a sudden your laptop is about to die? Now, you’re rushing around trying to find the cord and a free outlet before the whole operation shuts down.? Ugh, no fun. We recommend creating a system where that never happens. Before you jump into work, make sure your work space is close to an outlet and a USB charger (perhaps multiple of them depending on your needs). And that you have all of your cords and chargers ready to go!
- Screen Settings: When it comes to the health of your eyes, adjusting your screen setting can be a game changer. The eye professionals of the world recommend adjusting the contrast and brightness of your screen for optimal eye health. The recommended contrast level should be around 60-70 percent, meaning that the text is easily distinguishable from the background of the document you’re working on. And the brightness of your screen is at the same level as the light in your work space. Basically, your screen should not be a source of light.
- Extra Necessities: Everybody’s needs are different when it comes to electronics. Maybe all you need is a laptop and Wi-Fi, or maybe you need multiple monitors and a ring light. Either way, this is all about setting up your work space for success and addressing your individual needs. So think through other necessities that will make your work day go smoother. Some other examples include:
- vertical charger for your phone, so that your phone can charge with it upright for easy use.
- ring light plugged in, in position and ready to go for any videos or video calls.
- washable keyboard in case you tend to spill any of your drinks or want your keyboard to be easily cleaned.
2. Posture and Comfort
In other posts, we’ve discussed some of the health risks from working at a desk for long periods of time. And a common risk is headaches and pain caused by poor computer posture. Desk worker syndrome and tech neck are no joke and can be extremely painful. Let’s take a look at some ways you can maintain proper posture in order to work- and live – pain free.
- Exercise Ball: Swapping out a regular desk chair for an exercise ball is a great way to maintain proper posture while working at a desk. Using an exercise ball as a chair helps your musculoskeletal system stay pain free!
- Sit to Stand Desk: Investing in a sit to stand desk can seem a bit intimidating, but the health benefits that come with it will be worth it.! A sit to stand desk can help improve posture, reduce back pain, increase circulation, and more.
- Laptop or Desk Stand: If you’re not ready to invest in a sit to stand desk, a laptop or desk stand is a great alternative. These are a great way to adjust the position of your screen to make sure everything is in proper alignment.
- Ergonomic Chair: Not all chairs are created equally. So make sure that the chair you’re sitting on is meant for that type of use and is friendly to your body. The right support can make a world of difference.
Click here for more information on how to counteract tech neck and other aches and pains associated with working at a desk.
We don’t even have to think about it, right? The body does it on its own – so why are we mentioning breathing? A great way to stay energized throughout the day is to, in fact, think about your breathing. Make sure that your air quality is in good condition because it can affect how well you’re taking in oxygen, staying focused, and keeping motivated. Improve your work experience by enhancing your breathing experience.
- Humidifier: If you suffer from dry eyes, dry skin, respiratory issues, and other related symptoms, it might be time for you to look into a humidifier. Making your body more comfortable in your work space can make you work better.
- Diffuser with Aromatherapy: Need a little pick me up? Try adding a few drops of an essential oil into a diffuser to feel invigorated! Use refreshing, uplifting scents – such as peppermint, lemon and cinnamon – to help you stay energized and focused.
- Candle: To have a sense of calm during a stressful time, try lighting a candle and allow the peaceful flame and relaxing scent to calm your nerves. (Invest in a faux candle if you work from an office space that does not allow open flames.)
Up your water intake.! In a previous post, we talked about just how important it is to keep yourself hydrated. The common recommendation of your daily water intake is roughly eight 8 oz cups, or 2 Liters.
- Water Bottle: A hydrated body is a happy body. If you are feeling low energy, check in and make sure you’ve had enough water for the day.! Once you have a glass – or two – of some H20, you might just feel your second wind coming on.
- Favorite Mug: A great way to bring a sense of warmth and comfort to your work space is to keep your favorite mug nearby for when you need that cup o’ joe.
- Mug Warmer: Do you gulp down your coffee instantly or do you slowly sip on it? If you are the latter, then look into a mug warmer. Keep your beverage warm while you focus on your work.
No need to stress on how important it is to stay organized, right? A messy desk is a messy mind. So stay on top of things with these organizational essentials.
- Notepad: Whether it’s to jot down a quick note to self or have a full on brainstorming session, having a notepad nearby is crucial for the optimal work experience.
- Calendar: A great way to stay organized and not lose track of deadlines is to have a calendar easily visible for quick reference.
- Matching Desk Set: For a clean and chic look, look into getting a matching desk set of organizers for all your office needs, such as pens, highlighters, sticky notes, etc.
- Office Supplies: Oof, ever really needed a stapler to keep yourself organized and there wasn’t one in sight? Office supplies can be very underrated. Having them can speed you up and not having them can really slow you down. Make sure you are stocked up in all your essentials.
6. What’s Your View
What’s your view from your desk? When you glance away from your computer, what is in your sightline? Our surroundings affect our mood, creativity, and focus. So curate your work space to be one that motivates and inspires you to take on the day!
- Natural Light: There are so many benefits to having a work space that has access to natural light, such as improving mood, increasing Vitamin D production, increasing focus, and more. (We call the window seat!)
- Decorations: Make your work space feel personal by adding decorations.! Whether it’s hanging pictures of your family, motivational quotes or a vision board, a mindfully created space can encourage mindfully created work.
- Houseplant: Houseplants are nature’s way of trying to bond with us. Keep one – or many – on your desk or in your office space to improve air quality, increase creativity, and lower stress.
Do you need help making the most out of your workspace?
Let Haven Collective help.
Enhance your work experience by joining the community of Haven Collective, where we have carefully designed each one of our spaces to be ideal to get S#*t done! From warm and inviting open spaces to private offices and meeting rooms, we make finding the perfect place to work easy.
Haven Collective is not only a space for people to get work done, it’s a community that fosters professional success and personal fulfillment.
With a Haven membership, you gain access to our Resource Library. The Resource Library is stocked with content surrounding not only business topics, but also wellness tips, such as access to meditations, yoga, and more. Every personal and professional development event adds to our growing collection too, so you never miss an ounce of information that could help you grow and feel more healthy.
By joining Haven, you’ll commit not only to taking care of your business, but to taking care of the star of the show – YOU.