If you ask me directly, I’ll deny it. But, sometimes I get scared and the fear pours out of my eyeballs (there’s no crying in business!). The more I’ve opened myself up and had honest conversations with other business owners, the more I’ve realized that I’m not alone. So, let’s be real for a minute.
Day after day I meet with entrepreneurs and there’s a HUGE difference between the ones that are living through their fear and those that are paralyzed by it. I see it on their faces and even talk to them about the things that scare them the most like spending money on the resources they need to grow their business. So, how do you get past this and operate your business as if success was inevitable? Naturally, I turned to a few of my business inspirations for answers.
- Tony Robbins – When you are grateful fear disappears and abundance appears.
- (Queen) Oprah – The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power.
- Seth Godin – Being aware of your fear is smart. Overcoming it is the mark of a successful person.
- Sara Blakely – Courage is doing something despite the fear, and I’ve worked hard on being a courageous person.
- John Gordon – Often the difference between success and failure is belief.
Hopefully, these nuggets of wisdom help inspire you to push through the fear, create a mantra, tackle that scary project, or just get your ass in gear. I look to words like these regularly and, every time the fear is creeping in, I remind myself that I’m on the path I have chosen. It can be a powerful realization when you think about the fact that owning your own business is a choice. And, frankly, it isn’t a choice that everyone has the luxury of making.
When I made the choice to leave my corporate job and start a coworking space in Columbus, OH, I never realized how much I’d grow and how many emotions would come with that growth. I also failed to realize how many of the entrepreneurs I’d meet on a daily basis would inspire me. If this resonates with you, I encourage you to lean into the fear with me.